Where could a career at Thorlux take you?
Thorlux employs approximately 400 people at its modern manufacturing facility in the Moons Moat area of Redditch, Worcestershire. We have been designing and manufacturing innovative luminaires and controls systems for over 80 years and are proud that 97% of our products are manufactured in the UK. Our luminaires are manufactured utilising our excellent facilities including automated punching and laser cutting machines, in house powder coating and state of the art surface mount technology (SMT) lines placing over 1,000,000 components every week. We have a long history and we genuinely care about our employees.
BASED AT: Redditch Office
REPORTING TO: Business Systems Lead
JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY:
Reporting to the Business Systems Lead based in Redditch, UK. You will be a point of contact for enhancements and development opportunities relating to business systems across the business. You will work closely with the senior stakeholders and process owners on process improvement projects, understanding the business needs and translating them into system requirements. Working closely with our business system partners, you will encourage/promote the use of strategic systems within Thorlux.
Analyse & Requirements
• Facilitate process improvement workshops across the group. Identify process enhancements through proper use of the business systems.
• Coordinate and participate in process improvement activities promote upcoming enhancements to the business systems.
• Benchmark, analyse, report on, and make recommendations for the improvement and use of the core business systems implemented within Thorlux and the FW Thorpe Group.
• Create new and provide input into business cases for business and IT improvement projects.
• Deliver a high quality and responsive service to the company.
• Ensure that the company's system availability and performance is maximised.
• Research potential solutions to improve efficiency working closely with the Group IT Lead to propose and implement change across the business.
• Assist users and departments concerning system enhancements. Work with users to diagnose problems. Propose new procedures, develop systems & document processes in line with user’s requirements.
• Ensure that all system users are suitably conversant with current systems applications and to identify / and implement appropriate training as required.
• Provide support to all Group location and remote workers on any system related issues.
• Work closely with the Group IT Manager on projects.
• Attend meetings as and when required with key managers within the business to understand requirements and translate the requirements into changes required on the business systems.
• Ensure that key business processes are clearly defined, adhered to and make maximum use of the company's investment in business system.
• Provide technical assistance / advice as necessary to other members of the IT team.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
• Projects delivered on time, within scope and on budget
• Closed helpdesk tickets related to system incidents
• Performance reviews with the Business Systems Lead
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Provide application support, design, configuration and maintenance on all business systems by becoming an expert in the architecture and functionality of the applications.
• Work with the business to understand issues and requirements, undertake root cause analysis of issues and deliver technical changes.
• Resolve assigned support calls efficiently and effectively, with the maximum amount of customer care.
• Proactively identify and propose application system changes, better uses, enhancements and developments where this will drive efficiencies for IT and/or improvements for business users.
• Define project requirements, scope and deliverables, capture and document business requirements.
• Work with appropriate business personnel to construct, propose and justify business process improvement projects, embodying the development of existing IT applications or the implementation of new applications.
• Create user case stories, test scripts and acceptance criteria on projects as and when required
• Write documentation for the operation of the system by end users and documentation for the support/maintenance of the system.
• Any other duties within the capability of the job holder.
• A minimum of 5 years support enterprise level ERP system
• Experience of working with Infor M3 platform and associated applications such as:
o Smart Office
o Infor CLM
o Infor ION/XI
o Infor Cloud Suite
• Working knowledge of HR systems, including time capture and employee self service
• Understanding of data structuring, in particular SQL
If you are interested in the role, please do not hesitate to submit your application to Recruitment@Thorlux.co.uk.Apply
DEPARTMENT: Site Services Department
RESPONSIBLE TO: Site Services Manager
PURPOSE OF JOB:
To provide on-site assistance for, commissioning of Thorlux Lighting controls systems and rectification works.
- Commissioning of Thorlux lighting Control Systems across the UK
- Liaise with customers to advise on installation, connection and fault finding on all Thorlux Lighting control systems.
- To arrange site visits with relevant parties from contractors to end users, in order to enable timely and effective commissioning of all control systems or site rectification work.
- To keep active records on all projects to enable generation of commissioning certificates upon satisfactory completion of the commissioning process. To then ensure all relevant invoicing is carried out.
- To report back on all issues relating to product defect/performance issues, and to actively advise on improvements.
- To carry out any other task delegated to you by the Site Services Manager or the Senior Commissioning Engineer.
- Organisation of day to day onsite work load
Preferable Candidate Requirements:
- Some Technical knowledge
- Experience of installing, commissioning and maintaining lighting and emergency lighting installations.
- Logical thinker with the ability to plan and remain calm under pressure.
- Excellent communication, organisational and customer service skills.
- Computer literate and familiar with using Microsoft Office suites as well as bespoke stock checking/technical programs.
- Flexibility of working hours may be required.
If you are interested in the role, please do not hesitate to contact us at Recruitment@Thorlux.co.uk.
We look forward to hearing from you.Apply
Continuous Improvement Lead
DEPARTMENT: Production, Thorlux, Redditch
PURPOSE OF JOB: Manage the Continuous Improvement function driving the implementation and adherence to best in class standardised procedures and processes throughout. In this role, you will be responsible for identifying, evaluating and implementing savings though value engineering, improvements in process and product design, capital investments and training and mentoring colleagues on lean sigma methodologies.
A candidate for this role must be analytical, pragmatic, passionate about continuous improvement and have a voracious appetite for eliminating waste in whatever form it appears. They will be a thought leader, a catalyst for change and someone who is forever challenging the status quo.
Identify productivity improvement opportunities in the workplace, shopfloor and non-shopfloor related.
Continuously build a project deck (diagonal) of opportunities to evaluate and implement over time with the relevant colleagues to ensure we meet our annual productivity savings targets.
With the collaboration of finance, agree the productivity savings of each project through audit verification and map the overall savings into the profit and loss account.
Establish annual productivity targets that are supported by the underlying deck and ensure that there is more than enough projects in the pipeline to deliver the target savings.
Report monthly on the savings, the deck building activities and forecast savings for the full year.
Implement standard works for project charters, project execution and reporting and train colleagues to deploy the necessary tools to affect the desired outcomes.
Create and deliver project plans, working to pre-defined specifications and timings. Identify labour, material, resource savings that are expected at the outset and agree timelines for project completion.
Train and educate work colleague over time and assign responsibilities to wider teams.
Manage all relevant financials (budgets) and forecasting relating to project cost.
Encourage the development of a Lean management culture throughout the Redditch Operations through the routine application of lean awareness training focused on Lean models, and by acting as the lean 'role model' for guidance and support.
Develop and maintain a Continuous Improvement Suggestion Scheme which is proactively managed with full feedback loops and accountability for delivery of accepted suggestions.
Lead and manage the delivery and completion of Improvement/Kaizen events in support of Operational performance improvement targets agreed with functional/value stream managers.
Develop and maintain a 'Lean Audit' process which is used to assess and monitor the project outcomes and to validate the savings are as expected in the evaluation phase.
Submits project status reports to management monthly
Determine the suite of lean tools that should be deployed across the business, educate and train colleagues in the use of those tools and be thought leader in how these tools can benefit the business and the particular processes to which they are being applied.
Act as the key customer interface in relation to Continuous Improvement, driving an effective relationship that supports business development opportunities.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a continuous improvement manufacturing environment, preferably with metalwork and electronics.
- Proven track record in delivering measurable improvement projects against targets and in a multi functional team environment.
- Strong communicator
- Practical problem solver
- Hands on, can do attitude
- Self driven, self motivated
- Visionary, able to see solutions where others do not see a problem
- Team player
- Energetic and passionate about manufacturing
- Delivers on commitments
- Good at engaging with all levels within the organisation
- Willing to listen and learn
- Good technical understanding of lean sigma (at least a green belt)
- Degree in engineering, preferably mechanical or electrical
- Green belt 6 sigma
If you are interested in the role, please contact Recruitment@Thorlux.co.uk.
We look forward to hearing from you.Apply
Lighting Sales Engineer - Merseyside/Wirral
DEPARTMENT: External Sales
RESPONSIBLE TO: Northern Regional Sales Manager
PURPOSES OF JOB: To continually develop business by selling the Company’s range of lighting products. To develop business with specifiers, lighting Consultants and end users.
To identify potential clients and requirements in the market and increase sales turnover.
To achieve Sales targets.
To gain knowledge of customer requirements and give feedback to Regional Sales Manager.
To have on going competitor awareness, new products, prices, samples, literature and any other information and to feedback to Regional Sales Manager.
To build and develop relationships with clients.
To achieve a specification and ensure that this is followed through to a successful conclusion.
To liaise with various departments within the Company to ensure satisfactory customer support/backup.
To observe Health & Safety regulations and encourage others to do so.
To carry out any task delegated by the Regional Sales Manager.
If you are interested in the role, please do not hesitate to apply to Recruitment@Thorlux.co.uk.
Look forward to hearing from you.Apply
REPORTING TO: Thorlux Controller
* Control of financial data ensuring its accuracy and completeness
* Work with the Thorlux businesses providing support and advice for the Sales and projects operation, ensuring revenue and costs are in compliance with group accounting policies
* Continuous improvement of processes within the scope of the role
* Ensure the accuracy of installation projects revenue, costs and profitability
* Ensure the accuracy and completeness of project related Balance Sheet items included inventories, receivables and liabilities
* Periodic and ad-hoc reports on projects financial status, including receivables and retentions
* Partner the project managers on the financial position of their projects
* Project financial forecasting
* Ensure the accuracy and validity of revenue recognised
* Management of sales allowances ensuring costs and liabilities are correctly recorded, including:
* Calculation of employee and agents’ sales commissions;
* Calculation of rebates
* Verification of discounts
* Partner the sales operation including:
* Sales pricing and contractual commitments;
* Performance of sales channels
* Process improvements
* Produce and develop revenue reporting requirements
* Sales operations P&L reporting responsibility
* Provide cover to other parts of the finance function
* Liaise with other parts of the finance function (e.g. assisting with project cash collection)
* Undertake ad-hoc projects as required by the Group Financial Director and Thorlux Controller
* Other duties commensurate with the skills and experience of the person in the role
* Qualified accountant (probably ACMA)
* Preferably a graduate, but as a minimum holding ‘A’ level qualifications
* Experience of working in a business partnering environment
* T literate with systems experience and good excel skills
* Good organisational and time management skills
* Flexible, hardworking and honest individual who can work as part of a team
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from youApply
Mechanical Design Engineer
To satisfy demand for new and existing product development, Thorlux Lighting are looking for a talented,
hands on Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team and help with our continual programme of product / specials design.
The emphasis of the role will be on:
- Producing special product designs to meet customer requirements.
- Visiting site to carry out hands on surveys involving photographing /measuring / information gathering.
- Helping to support a busy manufacturing environment with drawing and design.
- Improving our existing product range - VAVE.
- Documenting changes to product specification.
- Producing detailed designs / drawing documentations to meet the requirement of manufacturing.
- The successful candidate will be an experienced / enthusiastic / flexible mechanical design engineer, ideally with 2D/3D CAD skills (Specifically AutoCAD & Inventor) and be generally computer literate.
- You will have a flair for detail design and an understanding of engineering practices.
- A sound general electrical knowledge coupled with experience of small/medium size electro-mechanical assemblies would be desirable.
A knowledge of the following would be an advantage:
- Injection mouldings
- Castings (Aluminium)
- Aluminium & plastic extrusions
Candidates will ideally be qualified to at least HNC level in a relevant engineering discipline or have equivalent experience and must be eligible to work in the UK without restriction.
Previous experience in the lighting industry is not essential but would be advantageous.
A full driving license would be desirable.Apply
Product Design Engineer
Thorlux Lighting is a leading global provider of professional lighting and control systems for a wide range of applications. The company is a division of the FW Thorpe PLC group, which operates from a large self-contained manufacturing facility in Redditch, Worcestershire. Continually pushing the boundaries of innovation and redefining the benchmark for excellence we set the standards others want to follow.
What To Expect:
As a design engineer within our NPD team you’ll be working closely with other design engineers, product managers & production leaders to create and develop new products and ideas.
Our products are made from a wide variety of manufacturing processes and materials including sheet metal, plastic mouldings, aluminium castings and extrusions. You will initiate new product concepts and ideas from a blank sheet of paper and see them all the way through to final validation, testing and launch ensuing gateways and targets are met along the way. You’ll be a key part in the invention and development of our future products.
• Collaborate with commercial teams to initiate new product concepts and ideas to meet customer requirements and specifications – strive for innovation
• Produce effective design solutions using creative problem solving
• Act as a project lead when appropriate to ensure deadlines are met
• Responsible for the completion and checking of drawings and other supporting documentation
• Work closely with our purchasing teams and suppliers to obtain accurate part costings
• Support our in-house production teams after launch and iron out production issues
• Work with marketing to help develop promotional materials
What You’ll Need:
• Degree or equivalent in a relative Design or Engineering discipline
• Ideally 2 or more years of commercial experience
• Sound understanding of basic mechanical/product design principles and the development process
• Have good working knowledge of CAD, creating 3D models and 2D manufacturing drawings
• Proficiency in 3D modelling, assemblies, rendering and PDM software. We use Inventor but if you are familiar with another package then it is generally straightforward to covert
• Broad knowledge of a range of manufacturing materials and processes, in particular plastic mouldings, aluminium castings and metal fabrication would be advantageous
• Knowledge of the lighting industry would be of particular interest but not essential
• A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes with pragmatic approach to balance cost and value
• Knowledge of the circular economy and circular design principles would be advantageous
• Proven experience of presenting ideas and results to both technical and non-technical colleagues including senior management.
• Ability to plan, prioritise and co-ordinate with work of others
• Ability to work independently as well as within the wider team
Please include recent work examples and/or portfolio on application.
Apply to email@example.comApply
Senior Back End Web Developer
Job Type: Permanent
Experience Level: 5 years+
An excellent opportunity for an ambitious individual to further their career in web development. As a senior member of a small agile team, you will be assisting the Web Systems Manager with specifying, architecting, developing, and maintaining the back-end systems powering new and existing web projects for Thorlux and its sister companies within the FW Thorpe Plc Group.
The candidate must have:
* Solid understanding of object-oriented programming (MVC)
* Experience developing with PHP and MySQL/MariaDB/PostgreSQL or similar technologies
* Experience using MVC frameworks (e.g. Symfony)
* Experience using AJAX and REST APIs
* The ideal candidate will also have:
* Experience leading the development of new projects
* Experience architecting new software projects or writing technical specifications
* Experience using Unix command line and Apache/Nginx
* Experience with DevOps and continuous integration and deployment systems
* Knowledge of version control systems such as Git
* Knowledge of front-end technologies such as HTML5 and CSS for synergy with front-end developers
* Knowledge of Ansible, Docker and other similar tools
University degree or equivalent qualification is desirable.
This is a full time, permanent position and candidates will be working remotely from home.
If you are interested in the role, please do not hesitate to contact Recruitment@Thorlux.co.uk.
Look forward to hearing from you.Apply
SMT Technician and Programmer
DEPARTMENT: Surface Mount
RESPONSIBLE TO: Surface mount team leader
PURPOSE OF JOB:
To program and operate SMT line equipment – printing, pick and place and reflow. To program and operate the AOI machine, informing the team leaders and engineering functions of any defects found as part of the first off and batch inspections.
The role includes writing and improving programs, liaising with the Electrical, Manufacturing and Technical departments. Statistical data should be monitored and reported as part of process control and overall improvement.
To program and operate SMT line kit
To program and operate the AOI machine at both the machine and offline station
Examine circuit boards to detect defects such as shorts, excess or missing solder, component discrepancies, and component placement defects.
To help the Quality/Engineering departments solve manufacturing problems and issues.
Liaise with engineering functions to strive to improve production processes.
Possess good IT Skills and attention to detail required
Perform routine machine maintenance
Verify conformance to specified dimensions – producing PCB’s to IPC-A-610, class 1 as a minimum
Understand and interpret information on drawings and bills of materials.
Train personnel on automated inspection equipment as needed
To maintain Health and Safety procedures and promote good working practices.
If you are interested in the role, please submit your application to Recruitment@Thorlux.co.uk. We look forward to hearing from you.
Technical Services Engineer
We are looking for an enthusiastic Technical Services Engineer to join our team based at our head office in Redditch to provide support to internal and external stakeholders.
Reporting to the Technical Team Leader, you will work closely with colleagues across the business and be flexible in your approach to resolving a wide range of enquiries
- Respond to customer enquiries and helpline requests in a timely manner through phone, email and online channels
- Support our UK & worldwide Sales Engineers in specifying luminaires and control systems
- Liaise with Design & Laboratory staff, carrying out testing and development work
- Work with Site Services to resolve fault reports using the most efficient resources
- Communicate with suppliers, end users, electricians, and consultants to resolve issues
- Assist the Technical Team Leader in their day to day tasks
- You will need to be able to demonstrate excellent customer service skills
- Be able to work under pressure, both independently and as part of the team
- Have clear written and verbal communication skills
- Possess the ability to solve problems within tight deadlines
- Be a proficient IT user, using multiple systems for material flow, communication, and case management & record keeping
- Be willing to undertake training courses as required for the job role
- Be prepared to make occasional site visits if necessary
- You will ideally have a HNC/HND or higher qualification in a suitable engineering discipline
- Have experience in a production engineering environment with an electrical bias, preferably within the lighting industry
If you have the ability to meet and exceed our customer’s expectations in a rapidly-changing market, and thrive in a busy team environment, then please apply to join this successful professional company. Opportunities for personal and professional development exist within the group.Apply
PURPOSE OF JOB: To participate in the receipt, storage, loading, unloading, and inventory of product within the warehouse, whilst taking responsibility for insuring the workplace environment is maintained in a clean, safe and orderly fashion.
- Controlling stock using a hand-held scanner, and M3 (when training given).
- Loading and unloading delivery vehicles, by hand or with a forklift truck (if applicable).
- Operating a forklift truck (If applicable) to move and rearrange stock and ensure that products are stored safely and labelled correctly.
- Picking orders using a hand-held scanner (when training given) from the storage space and bringing them for packing, or to the loading bay for transportation.
- Packing, palletising and loading to a safe and high standard.
- Cleaning and maintaining the warehouse will also be part of the daily routine.
- To immediately report all potential risk, problems or product defects/damages to your Team Leader or line manager.
- To promote good customer service by ensuring a fast, reliable, and accurate service.
- To hold Narrow Aisle, Counter Balance and Reach Truck licences.
- To carry out their work in accordance with ISO 9001/14001 procedures laid down for that job.
- To comply at all times with the Company’s rules and regulations.
- To ensure all plant and equipment is safely used and maintained.
- To maintain a safe working environment according to the departmental procedures.
- To carry out all instructions issued by your Manager, Warehouse Controller or team leaders.
- To follow the Company’s Health & Safety procedures.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.orgApply
How to Apply
If you are interested in any of the above positions please download and complete the application form and return by email to email@example.com. Alternatively you can print off the application form and complete with blue or black pen and return by post to the below address:
- HR Department
- Thorlux Lighting
- Merse Road
- North Moons Moat
- B98 9HH
- United Kingdom
You may include a CV if you wish but only submissions including the FW Thorpe Plc application form can be accepted.
For further assistance please contact the Group HR Manager on +44 (0)1527 583200.